[update] You may have noticed that I haven’t posted any video reviews or photos of tacos.
I’m sad to report that this week is way too manic for me to fit in twice-daily jaunts to the Mission and other neighborhoods (sure ain’t none in mine) in search of mouth-gasmic tacos.
Next week’s schedule looks clearer, so I’m crossing my fingers that the Universe has that I will partake in a week-long taco orgy.
So… this is something new.
For one whole week – seven days, my friends – I will eat tacos for lunch and dinner, from a different restaurant each time.
I will review FOURTEEN RESTAURANTS IN ONE WEEK.
Because I’m crazy, that’s why.
I kid, I kid. (But not really.) I’ve issued this Taco Challenge for several reasons:
- Why should burritos get all the attention? (A friend told me that tacos are better “drunk food” than while burritos are meals. Um, what?)
- I am partial to corn rather than flour tortillas.
- I’m no food snob! Sure, I like restaurants and very nice ones at that, but I am equal-opportunity when it comes to good food.
- TACOS. ‘Nuff said.
So what makes a great taco? My criteria are as follows:
- Soft corn tortillas. You can tell when the tortilla has been recently thawed out or when it’s old, right?
- Flavorful and tender meat. For better comparison, I will order only beef.
- Overall flavor. In addition to great meat, the accompanying fillings must be fresh and balanced. So no overloading on filler lettuce and no smothering in sour cream.
- Value. Price versus size will be taken into consideration.
The next question is, where will I get these tacos?! The most laborious part of my planning, I’ve chosen my 14 restaurants based on:
- Reviews by reputable media outlets
- Online review sites
- Friends’ recommendations
For one epic week, you will receive twice-daily updates on my epic Taco Extravaganza!
When will this happen? Well, unless something serious comes up, March 31 to April 6.
Until then, I will post some thoughts about my prep work for the Taco Extravaganza